Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cupid

A few random thoughts about Valentine's Day. I'm a romantic at heart - who doesn't love love?

But Hallmark holidays bring out the cynic in me - I strongly dislike the implication that I need to "prove" my love by the purchase of the right card, the right gift, the right box of chocolates, or the right flowers. I also dislike greeting cards in general - why do I need someone at Hallmark to put words in my mouth? I don't need your pre-packaged feelings, I'm perfectly capable of expressing my feelings in my own words whenever I choose to do so.

Before I end my rant, please look at Valentine Dilemma for a good laugh.

I don't enjoy being cynical, so let's end on a bright note. Sam Cooke's "Cupid" is one of the most beautiful songs I know, and is perfect for today.
Cupid, draw back your bow and let your arrow go
Straight to my lover's heart for me, for me
Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

  1. Well said. You perfectly sum up my feelings on Valentine's Day. While we do participate (I send flowers to Jill at work), it's not like we wait until February 14th to show each other love and affection. I'm sure there are couples that do, and that makes us sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh c'mon, write us a little poem worthy of a Hallmark card! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had completely forgotten about that song until I just played it. Awesome song.

    I usually make my own Valentine's Day cards, but this year I just wasn't into it so skipped it. Over commercialized holidays bring out the cynic in many people I think.

    ReplyDelete