Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Could Small Breasts Make a Comeback?

This was the subtitle of an interesting article I read on Slate the other day. The author, though a gay man, argues hopefully that small breasts will become fashionable again, and that the heroine of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" movie will speed this along.

I think he's overly hopeful that one movie will turn the cultural opinion around, but I'm with him in his hope that the pendulum will swing back the other way. Lord knows I'm not against big breasts - Salma Hayek and Katy Perry are still prominent on my Celebrity Pass list (though not just because of their bra size.) But big breasts alone don't make a woman sexy, and I especially dislike the current cultural assumption that huge breasts are necessary to be desirable.

Personally, I would *much* rather see a small natural breast than a big fake one. And bigger is not necessarily better - the small perky breast can be the prettiest thing going.

I'm reminded of an old joke. A single guy decides it's time to get married, and has to decide which of the three women he's been dating will be the one he proposes to. The first woman is a beautiful blonde from a wealthy family. The second is a tall brunette who's finishing up her medical school degree. And the third is a redhead who's a yoga instructor and a gourmet cook.

Which one does he choose? The one with the big tits.

The joke makes me laugh, but I also think it's time to grow up and appreciate that there are many kinds of beauty. In this, as in so much else, vive la différence.

6 comments:

  1. I agree. I don't understand the appeal of fake breasts. But as a member of the itty, bitty titty club I know I am biased. But I think there are many pros to being small breasted and my lover doesn't complain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me they never went out of style...but anything that brings them back is welcome in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Holly says, many pros to having small breasts. If a man doesn't want me because of my size, then I'm probably better off without him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. We like all breast shapes and sizes, and don't understand the prevalent cultural attitudes that favor bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already appreciate the many shapes and forms of women. We are lovely! But I have a strong preference (that means obsession) for natural, healthy, soft big boobs. Fake anything is a turn off for me--fake nails, fake hair, etc.

    I don't care what the media says is "popular" I like what a like. Too bad young woman are overly influenced by the media and think they have to have big boobs to be liked--well a lot of older women do that too, don't they?

    Side note: Anyone who saw the English version of the "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" owes it to themselves to see the original. It is a far better film (three parts, #1 is the best) and Lisbeth Salander portrayed by Noomi Rapace is phenomenal and authentic and chilling. It's at Netflix.)

    -H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone shout "YEAAH" for us small, but perfect, breasted women.
    What do you mean a comeback? When did we go away?

    ReplyDelete