Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

"A Charlie Brown Christmas"

I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas music. What I like, I *really* like. But there's so much atrocious schlock that I just despise. For every "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" or "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire", there's "Feliz Navidad", "Rocking around the Christmas Tree", etc., etc.

One of my favorite Christmas discs is The Vince Guaraldi Trio's "A Charlie Brown Christmas". It's the soundtrack to the Peanuts Christmas special, and hearing these songs transports me back to childhood. But more than just nostalgia, the music stands on its own. Vince Guaraldi was a fantastic jazz pianist, and his versions of some of the standard Christmas songs are fun and enjoyable.

I defy anyone to listen to "Linus and Lucy" and not dance. I don't think it's possible. Other highlights are "What Child is This", "Christmas is Coming", and "My Little Drum". But it's fantastic from beginning to end.

Rather than pick one song as my Saturday "dash of happy" song, I have to pick the whole disc. I'm listening to it now, for the first of many times over the next couple of weeks.

Happy Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this... and Happy Holidays to you ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Vince Guaraldi has done more to keep me in touch with my inner child than anybody, and this CD gets regular play from us during the holidays.

    -Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a wonderful idea for the soundtrack to the Peanuts Christmas special. I didn't know about it and will have to look at it and add to my fave Christmas collection. I didn't know about Vince Guaraldi, either. I just know that I liked the music. Very cool. I'm also enjoying John Denver's solo you posted on the sidebar. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you were listening to the album as you were writing this. I can almost picture your smile.

    Thank you for this dash of merry... :)

    ReplyDelete