Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

"String of Pearls"

For my Saturday "dash of happy" song on this Father's Day weekend, I'm going back to 1942. That means Big Band music. My Dad enjoyed many different styles of music, but for him it never got better than the Big Band music of his youth. And since he played his old albums when I was growing up, I picked up some appreciation for it too.

My selection today is Glenn Miller's "String of Pearls", which is a fantastic tune - both rocking and sensual. I'm not sure if it was Dad's favorite song, but of the music I know from that era, it's probably my favorite. Dedicated to my father.

Happy Saturday, and happy Father's Day weekend to the dads out there.

6 comments:

  1. Nice. Makes me want to go swing dancing! Happy Fathers day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a sweet thought. Happy Fathers day to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm familiar with this song but never knew the title. I like Glenn Miller. ;-)

    Happy Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoy some of the big band stuff, although it was well before my time . . . A year ago, I read a fascinating article in Vanity Fair about the early years of Frank Sinatra, when he sang with Harry James and Tommy Dorsey . . . Ciao

    ReplyDelete