Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sex Lives of Politicians

From the "blast of common sense" department:
It Is Time to Stop Reporting on the Sex Lives of Politicians
It's hard to imagine today's sleazy press actually doing this, but it's a lovely thought. We've long since passed the point where no one with a shred of personal dignity would even consider a high-profile public office. Who in their right mind would subject themselves and their families to that kind of "crawl up your ass with a microscope and look for anything you or a family member has ever done/written/e-mailed/texted/Facebooked/Tweeted/etc." scrutiny?

Personally, I'm an upstanding citizen (yes, really) and I like the idea of making a difference, though politics of any kind fills me with disgust. But just the fact of having this blog (if for no other reason!) disqualifies me from any office higher than (or maybe including) town dog catcher.  Maybe that's no big loss in my case, but I have to think there are many other well-qualified people who also wouldn't consider public service, given today's media environment.

It's a damn shame.

4 comments:

  1. Well said, I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, we get what ever is left over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know but I think they do it to sensationalize and attract attention.

    Also, I do like this guy now - he hosts a CNN show. So all is not lost, he just got another job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if some do it on purpose. Nothing surprises me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Politicians, movies stars, sports figures - it's all so tiring. Guess I won't ever be able to be president. Darn.

    ReplyDelete