Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

"Blue Sky"

For my Saturday "dash of happy" I've consciously avoided love songs. There are tons of "I'm so happy because my baby loves me" songs, but while that kind of happiness is wonderful and intoxicating, it can't last. Whenever I hear one of those songs, I can't help thinking that the first song on the next album will be a "woe is me, my baby left me" blues number.

Anyway, after a week of non-stop rain and gray skies, the sun is shining brightly and the sky's a rich bright blue. So my happy song for today is the Allman Brothers Band's "Blue Sky." Yes, it's about a girl, but I also get a larger sense of happiness from it. Beautiful melody, gorgeous lyrics.

Walk along the river ... sweet lullaby
It just keeps on flowin' ... it don't worry 'bout where it's going

Don't fly mister blue bird I'm just walkin' down the road
Early mornin' sunshine tells me all I need to know

You're my blue sky ... you're my sunny day
Lord, you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way ... turn your love my way ...

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, what's up with songs about boys and girls being all happy?! Hope you had a happy Saturday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous choice. I'm gazing out at my own indigo sky right now...

    ReplyDelete