Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Skin Orgasms

Here's an article I saw yesterday on MSNBC:
'Messiah' give you chills? That's a clue to your personality
I found it interesting because there have always been musical passages that give me full-body chills (or what a psychologist in the article calls "skin orgasms.")

The theory being discussed is this:
Some people report lots of skin orgasms and some people say they never get them, but the personality trait "openness to experience" seems like a good predictor. (By "open to experience" the researchers seem to mean those people who enjoy art, good movies, aesthetic stuff.)
I first remember experiencing this at age 12 or 13, while listening to a classical piece. This was before I had ever had a real orgasm, but looking back, there were similarities - the "Woah, WOAH, what's happening?!?", the wave of pleasure washing over me (though not nearly as intense as a real orgasm,) the afterglow, and the "I want to feel that again!"

Very interesting....

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this post. I have experienced "skin orgasms" myself since my preteen years. Never knew there was a name or that anyone else 'em or even cared. I've had them in all different ways but like you mostly through music. Other experiences include: great conversations, a-ha moments, singing, or reading. I have to write a post about this myself! As always, you inspire... xo - E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skin orgasms... very interesting indeed.
    I think I was 11 or 12 years old when I felt something like this for the first time. I was listening to the Romeo and Juliet theme song...

    Great post, Max!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really great singer can bring me to that place every time.
    I am not sure if it is really an orgasm, but it is an out of control sensation rush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I didn't think people studied that. ;) Where can I become a test subject?? I've always had those, and I always thought it was just because I was too girly and too emotional!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those songs, voices or stories that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Not the ful fledged skin orgasm you mention but a glorious sensation nonetheless.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete