Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gimme All Your Lovin'

Just for the heck of it....

Happy 61st birthday to Billy Gibbons, guitar player and singer for ZZ Top. The band is probably best-known for their long beards, but I've been a fan of their music, and especially Billy Gibbons' guitar playing, for a long time. There's some really great blues guitar playing on ZZ Top songs, and it's deceptively simple - but when you listen more carefully, it's not as simple as it first sounds.

Then there are the music videos. Back in the Dark Ages (the early 80's), MTV started on cable TV, and played music videos (apparently this is no longer the case.) The ZZ Top videos were a sensation, especially among hormone-fueled teenage boys (like me and my friends.) We would scramble to the TV when one of their videos came on. They were overtly sexual and pushed the envelope about as far as possible for the day. Basically teenage guy fantasies. But what fun!

As a sex-starved teen, what I wouldn't have given to be tossed the keys to The Eliminator? Actually, what wouldn't I give today?

I still get a kick out of watching them, and I still love the music.

Happy birthday Billy!

4 comments:

  1. Cool post. Loved MTV back in those days. Now it's just a bunch of reality crap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brings back go memories too, dancing at parties. They also appear in the Blues Brothers movie. They're great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZZ is one of my all time favorite groups.
    I loved them so much that I ended up creating a second generation fan out of my son (who is now 24) and we have went together to see them live a few times.
    No group is as tight live as they are.

    Favorite video from their 80's string of videos - Sharp dressed man. Oh, ya... ZZ Rocks it.

    ReplyDelete